Frequently Asked Questions
What is the optical/vision benefit and what does it cover?
The vision benefit entitles you, your legal spouse and eligible children to an eye examination once each year by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist and, if prescribed, one pair of eyeglasses each year. You may receive vision care services in the following ways:
- Optical services (optometrist for examination and optician for eyeglasses) at JIB Medical, P.C.
Located in the Electchester Shopping Center
- There is no charge to you when you go to JIB Medical, P.C.
To schedule an optical appointment, contact JIB Medical P.C. at (718) 591-2014 from Monday-Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. and Saturday from 8:00 A.M. to 2:30 P.M. Appointments should be made approximately 2 weeks in advance.
- You may also use a provider who belongs to the Vision Screening Optical Group. These providers offer optometric eye care to participants, their legal spouses and eligible children living in New York, New Jersey and Florida. Their service includes one eye examination by an optometrist and, if prescribed, a pair of eyeglasses (mono-focal or bi-focal) and a selection of frames once a year. If you use this method and you buy supplies or services for which you are not eligible or covered, you will be responsible to pay these charges, but you will receive a 20% discount. To use a Vision Screening provider, please contact the Fund Office at (718) 591-1100 to request an optical voucher. OR
- You may also use a panel optical provider located in New Jersey. Their service includes one eye examination by an optometrist and, if prescribed, a pair of eyeglasses (mono-focal or bi-focal) and a selection of frames once a year. If you obtain the benefit in this way there will be no charge to you. You do not have to file a claim form. Please contact the Fund Office at (718) 591-1100 to request an optical voucher for a New Jersey panel provider. OR
- You may have an eye examination by any other optometrist or ophthalmologist, licensed and practicing in the United States or its possessions. You may purchase eyeglasses, if necessary, from any licensed facility operating in the United States or its possessions. If you use this method, you must file a claim form with the Fund Office. The Plan will reimburse you or your optical provider according to the Plan’s fee schedule.